Ormož Castle was first mentioned around 1278. After 1945, the castle was nationalized and in the following year, together with the associated garden, appointed as cultural monument. Since 1996 Ormož Castle has been part of the Regional Museum Ptuj. Between 2006 and 2009, the Ormož Museum was also active in Ormož. Since 2009, the Ormož Museum has been connected to the Ptuj Ormož Regional Museum, and since 2011 the Ormož Estate is also operating in the name of Ptuj Ormož.
The castle of Ormož is situated in the south-eastern part of a Bronze Age settlement which was protected with an earthen rampart and a defensive ditch. The ditch winds along the castle complex to the east and, at the end of the palace yard, turns towards the former Hungarian gate.
The Lords of Ptuj started building the castle complex in the last third of the 13th century. It remained their property until 1438 when the family of the Lords of Ptuj died out. The first building phase most probably comprised the south wing due to its exposure; it housed the residence of the castellans of Ptuj, Lords of Ormož.
Only later the huge yard, which was surrounded by a wall, got a mighty tower at the north-east corner in order to reinforce its protection. The events at the end of the 15th century sped up the development of the castle. After it was burnt down in 1487, it passed in the hands of the family Szekely in 1490 that had it restored with the purpose to settle there. They also had the north and west wings built, and probably had started the east wing as well. In 1532 the castle was damaged by the Turks; in 1540 it was restored as part of the town fortifications. After the attack of the Kruci on 12th February 1704, the castle was derelict. Between 1710 and 1740 it was restored in the Baroque style by the family Pethe. At the beginning of the 19th century, the castle was bought by Jože Pauer, an industrialist, who had it restored in the Classical style and built a wall around the south-eastern castle garden. The last owners of the castle were counts Wurmbrandt whose coat of arms is built-in above the main castle entrance.
Our wedding hall is exclusively available for your civil wedding. Golden and diamental weddings in turn find their perfect setting in the hall next to the chapel on the second floor.
Exhibitions in Ormož Castle:
- The Marko Sluga Collection
- Ormož in Yugoslavia of Karađorđević and Tito
- The Otmar Majerič Legacy Exhibition
- Between the Rivers Drava and Mura: Presentation of the archaeological heritage of the municipalities on the border between Prlekija and Meðimurje.
Exhibitions on the Castle's Outhouse:
- Medieval Statues From The Ormož Area
- "From Toy to Urn" (Bronze Age and Iron Age pottery)
- Pottery in Praise of a Potter: Pottery in the Ormož region
More information about the exhibitions can be found here.
Ormož Castle is surrounded by a garden that is one of the most beautiful passages plantations in Slovenia. On a Josephine military map from the period 1763-1787 some trees are already visible in the vicinity of the castle. However, the exact garden concept can be seen later on the maps of 1801.
Around 140 species of trees thrive in the garden. Here, on the way past the tulip tree, which leads to the tomb of the last owner of the castle, the observer will find large ash trees, poplars, huge oak trees and the remains of a stately lime tree avenue. Still the plant pleases both eye and soul and invites to relaxing walks.
Contact & Info
Ormož Castle and Castle's Outhouse
Kolodvorska cesta 9
Phone: +386 (0)2 7417290
TIC Ormož (Tourist Information Center Ormož)
Phone: + 386 (0)2 741 53 56
Monday- Friday: 8:00am - 3:00pm
Saturday: 9:00am - 2:00pm
December 24th and 31st, Mardi Gras: 8:00am - 12:00pm
Closed on Sundays and on public holidays!
Sightseeing is also possible outside the opening hours by prior announcement!