Tobacco smoke and "Kruzitürken" in the "black tower".
The so-called "Pfeilburg" is the only preserved part of the medieval curtain wall of Fürstenfeld city. It was built in the 13th century for more security. As reinforcement served towers, which later were sporadically expanded to estates. The Gothic central tower was already built in 1480, when the Hungarian troops occupied Fürstenfeld for 10 years, a burned out ruin. The tower was rebuilt at the beginning of the 16th century and now often called the "black tower" - either because it was burned out or because the people stored gunpowder here.
After a very changeful history of ownership, the "Pfeilburg" came to the possession of Johann Christoph Liscutin in 1691. There he set up the first tobacco processing in Austria. In 1725, the city council Fürstenfeld acquired the so-called "Freihaus", used it as school, barrack and military hospital. Due to the initiative of the "Fürstenfelder museums association" the "Pfeilburg" was saved and renovated. Today, it houses a so-called "Kruzitürken" and tobacco museum.
"Kruzitürken" and tobacco museum
Thanks to the initiative of the "Fürstenfelder museums association", this oldest secular building in the city, which has is known as "Pfeilburg", was saved, renovated and finally handed over to its new design as the so-called "Kruzitürken and tobacco museum in 1999.
The economic development of the city Fürstenfeld was for centuries linked to the production of tobacco products. The "Pfeilburg" was one of the first production facilitys of the city in the 17th
century. With more than 300 exhibits, the Tobacco Museum documents 300 years of tobacco history and smoking culture.
The changing history of the "city on the border" is documented on two floors. One highlight is the displayed model of Fürstenfeld city with its infamous ring wall around 1600. Also the so-called "Janissar dress uniform" shown as a rider on horseback is very impressive.
Fürstenfeld and its concerns
Trade - Commerce - Industry
The city Fürstenfeld has been a trading town for centuries and has shaped the economic life of Eastern Styria. Trade and commerce have always been a key pillar of economic development in the region. There were trade relations close to the near border with Hungary or the tobacco cultivation and its processing which ensured the prosperity in the city.
The museum "Pfeilburg" would like to introduce a series of exhibitions to individual companies. It starts with the bus company Ferdinand Roch.
The "Fürstenfelder fortress path", opened in 2013, covers 3.5 kilometers around the city center, which is surrounded by imposing defensive walls. Currently, the tour divided into stations has been extended by three new stations.
Also the impressive bunker and tunnel systems in the so-called "Mühl-Bastion" has been made passable comfortably and safely by a private access. At the so-called "Grazer gate", in which the town hall is located, a part of the formerly closed basement rooms were opened. Visitors of this station gets an interesting insight into the dimension of the foundations of the fortress walls. With the opening of a historic side wing within the passage of the Augustinian church, a remainder of the former Augustinian monastery is now accessible again. All three stations have been comprehensively and exemplary rehabilitated, with special respect for the historic building fabric.
Some fortress stations now also have media-edited historical information material.
Connected to the fortress path sports lovers can also make a "Order of knight's cycle tour". Übersbach and Altenmarkt are connected with Fürstenfeld.
Guided tours on the fortress path can be booked by the "Tourism association Fürstenfeld".
Tourism association Fürstenfeld
A-8280 Fürstenfeld, Hauptstrasse 2a
Phone: +43 3382 55 470
Contact & Info
Tourism association Fürstenfeld
Hauptstraße 2a, A 8280 Fürstenfeld
Steiermark / Austria
Phone: +43 3382 55470
Fax: +43 3382 55470-14
The operator of the project "Fortress path Fürstenfeld" forms together with the "Tourism association Fürstenfeld" the:
Museum association Fürstenfeld
c/o Museum Pfeilburg
A 8280 Fürstenfeld, Klostergasse 18,
April - October
Tuesday - Sunday: 3pm - 6pm
November - March
Saturday, 2pm - 5pm
Guided tours for groups of 6 or more are also possible outside the opening hours.
Duration: about 1 hour
Advance reservation in the tourist office Fürstenfeld.
Adults: 6 €
Children: 2.5 €
Groups / Seniors: 4,5 €
Guidance fee: 2 €