The Cultural and Historical Department of the Varaždin City Museum is situated in the original city centre, the fort today called the Old Town - the most important Gothic-Renaissance complex of monuments in Varaždin, builted between 14th and 17th century. During its history it was the seat of the feudal administration and the fortress. In 1925, the Municipality of Varaždin purchased the fort from Counts Erdödy and allocated it to the newly formed Varaždin City Museum to house their cultural and historical collections.
Due to its impressive structural characteristics, the fort in itself is a museum of architecture, additionally enriching some 1100 most presentable collection pieces. Among those displayed are items from fine and applied arts, grouped into units which illustrate the stylistic historical periods: Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo, Classicism, Empire, Biedermeier, Historicism and Secession. Within the confines of the fort we can also find a royal chapel of St. Lawrence with a vestry.
Other collections and units are witnesses to the city's rich social, economical, political and cultural life through the ages: guilds, glass, ceramics and watches collection, targets, weapons and firearms,historical portraits, and Culture of Clothing wich portray fashion and clothing from the past.
Contact & Info
HR-42000, Šetalište J. J. Strossmayera 3
Phone: +385 42 658 773
or +385 42 658 754
The museum is open daily from 9 am to 5 pm, on Saturday and Sunday from 9 am to 1 pm.
Closed on Monday and national holidays. Extended opening hours on festivals and special occasions (Špancirfest, European Night of Museums, Varaždin Baroque Evenings, Night of Museums) Please note: last admission is 30 minutes before closing time.