de  |  en  |  slo
Oršic Castle
The Peasants’ Revolt Museum.
History
The Peasants’ Revolt Museum is located in the baroque castle of the Oršic family. It was constructed in 1756 at the site of an older medieaval fortress by Count Krsto Oršic and his wife Josipa, born Zichy. The castle’s plan is an L-shape and the third wing used to be connected to the older fortress from 16th century. The new castle did not have a defense purposes any more and was used instead solely for living. The chapel, considered to be the best preserved of the whole castle, contains illusionist mural paintings, an allegoric depiction of the four continents, as well as painted altar depicting scenes from the life of Saint Francis Xavier, attributed to the famous master Anton Lerhinger and considered to be some of the best Baroque paintings. The Oršic castle was a feudal residence until 1924, when the last members of the Oršic family left. Several rooms of the castle housed an elementary school for a while, and they were also used by a local peasants’ cooperative. The Peasants’ Revolt Museum was founded and opened to the public on the occasion of the great Peasants’ Revolt 400th anniversary in 1973. There is a decorative parterre garden around the castle, while the surrounding area was made into a landscaped park containing local and exotic plant species.
Monument of Matija Gubec
A monument to Matija Gubec and the Peasants’ Revolt, made by sculpturer Antun Augustinčic, also makes part of the park. On a hillside next to the OršicCastle in Gornja Stubica, overlooking the Stubica valley, stands a 6.5 m high statue of Matija Gubec, with two symmetrical wings raising behind it – each 20 m long and 7.5 m high and decorated with bronze reliefs portraying over three hundred characters. On one side there are scenes from the Battle of Stubica - people, horses and the clash of the aristocratic army and rebelled peasants, while on the other side there is a panorama of life at that time. At the bottom of the right wing there is a life-size character of Petrica Kerempuh, holding a tambura in his hands. Ambroz Matija Gubec is a famous historic figure holding a particular spot in history as a Croatian peasant and the leader of the Peasants’ Revolt in Croatia and Slovenia. Prior to the well-known Peasants’ Revolt, Gubec worked as a serf at the estate of the infamous Franjo Tahy. On February 9th 1573, he led the peasants into the crucial battle against the nobility near Stubičke Toplice. Unfortunately, the peasants were defeated and Gubec was publicly tortured and executed on February 15th at St. Mark’s Square. According to the legend, he was forced to wear a red-hot iron crown and subsequently quartered. The author of the monument is Antun Augustinčic and it was completed for the opening day of the Peasants’ Revolt Museum.
Exhibitions
Pernament exhibition:
  • The Gallant Century and the Oršic Family
  • The Castle
  • Weapons and Combat Equipment in the 16th and 17th Centuries
  • Anno Domini 1573
  • Noble Estates in the 17th and 18th Centuries
  • Ban Josip Jelačic and the Croatian National Revival 1848

Other exhibitions:

Sacred art in Hrvatsko zagorje
The exhibition in the St. Xavier consecrated, baroque court chapel, directly in the castle, offers an overview of the sacred art of Hrvatsko zagorje from the 16th to the middle of the 19th century.

Viticulture and cellar culture in Hrvatsko zagorje
In the cellar of the castle there is an exhibition on "Viticulture in the Hrvatsko zagorje region". It documents the history of this industry, which is extremely important for the region.
Events
In addition to the permanent exhibitions, the museum also regularly hosts concerts, theatrical performances and other events, such as the annual knight tournament in June. The Museum regularly organize workshops for children and families. Also there is a catering directly in the castle.
Contact & Info
Oršic Castle
HR-49245 Gornja Stubica, Samci 63
Phone: +385 49 587889
or +385 49 587881
msb@mhz.hr
www.msb.mhz.hr

Opening times:
Winter: 1. 10. - 31. 3. - every day from 9 am to 5 pm.
Summer: 1. 4. - 30. 9. - every day from 9 am to 7 pm.
Closed: January 1st, Easter, November 1st, December 25th and 26th.
Map
Oršic Castle
Interreg Slovenia
Burgenland Stiftung
RIS
BISTRA
TZD
Steiermark
Oststeiermark
Thermenland
Apfelland
Vulkanland
Burgenland
Österreich
Genuss Card