Interreg Slovenia
de  |  en  |  slo
Castle Kohfidisch
From dairy farm to castle: the careful preservation of history in Kohfidisch

The castle, located at the southern end of Kohfidisch, 
is privately owned by the Keil family. What began as a dairy farm in the 17th century 
and was expanded into a castle by the 19th century 
is now carefully maintained by the castle's owners. 
The castle's history dates back to the 13th century, when it was built as a fortified monastery. In the 16th century, it was converted into a castle and expanded to its current size. In the 19th century, the castle was renovated and expanded to accommodate the Keil family, who still own it today. 


History
History and restoration of a castle through the ages 

The castle is located at the southern end of the village in a former extensive English garden with rare old trees. Towards the end of the 16th century, the property was sold by the Counts of Ellerbach to the Erdödy family. The castle has been in their possession ever since. Originally a farmstead, it was converted into a castle in the 17th century and probably extended in 1780 by the architect Franz Anton Hillebrandt. At the beginning of the 19th century, the castle was further expanded. In 1945, it was slightly damaged during fighting. From 1945 to 1949, the Red Army command for the Oberwart district was stationed in the castle. After the command was relocated to Oberwart, the castle was severely damaged, mainly due to the theft of (building) materials. The valuable furnishings and movable valuables were probably already stolen by the Red Army and vagrant vandals. In 1975, initial repair work began, with the roof truss and roof being partially repaired using federal funds. Further extensive renovation work began in 1999. Since 2010, further parts of the basement (north/west wing, chapel) have been restored and put into operation as a wine tavern restaurant and event centre. 

The main wing features a central risalit with a raised tent roof and contains a ballroom. The castle chapel has a neo-Gothic romantic mural, beneath which several layers of paint were uncovered, dated by employees of the Federal Monuments Office to the late 16th and mid-17th centuries. The original furnishings of the chapel have been destroyed, but it has been refurnished by the owner family and is available for baptisms, weddings and private Holy Masses. 

 
Contact & Information
Kohfidisch Castle
DI Sarah Keil
Schloss 1
A-7512 Kohfidisch

Tel.: +43 664 4488699
sk@kohfidisch.com
www.imschloss.at
Map
Kohfidisch Castle (Burgenland)
Google Maps load

(I agree to the use of Google Maps)
Events
06. Jun. 2026   10.00h-18.00h  
Garden days
https://www.imschloss.at/gartentage-2025-2/
07. Jun. 2026   10.00h-18.00h  
Garden days
https://www.imschloss.at/gartentage-2025-2/
19. Sep. 2026   10.00h-18.00h  
Karmuri
20. Sep. 2026   10.00h-18.00h  
Karmuri
Burgenland Stiftung
RIS
BISTRA
TZD
Slovenia Austria bilingual
Steiermark
Thermenland Vulkanland
Oststeiermark
Apfelland
Vulkanland
Burgenland
Österreich
Genuss Card
Schlosshotels & Herrenhäuser